The most common irritating and cosmetically annoying problem of all times are PIMPLES. And now the favorite question from where and why they come? Let’s dig into this, What is Acne?
How does acne affect women and men?
Mostly all men and women in their young age get few pimples of their lives, but acne affect men and women differently . Young men are more likely to have a more serious form of acne. Acne in young women tends to be more random and are associated with hormone changes, such as the menstrual cycle.
Acne in women gets better with growing age but some women can get acne in late ages also. Some women even get acne for the first time at age 30 or 40.
Women with acne, may have feelings of depression, poor body image, or low self-esteem. But you don’t have to wait to outgrow acne or to let it run its course. Now a days all kind of acne have treatment and simple kind of acne can be prevented as well.
Types of acne
- Papules: These (whiteheads or blackheads) are the basic acne , which is a plugged pore with access oil, dead skin cells or dirt.
- Pustules or pimples. Pus and blood filled acne are called pustules.
- Nodules & Cysts. Nodules are more serious kind of acne which lodge deeper in the skin and are painful . Nodular acne can disfigure and leave scars on skin.
Causes of ACNE in women
- Hormonal changes in puberty, girls have an increase of male sex hormones called androgen. Androgen increase causes the glands to get larger and make more sebum.
- Menstrual cycle is one of the most common acne triggers. Acne tend to form few days before the menstrual cycle begins and go away after the cycle is completed.
- Pregnancy and menopause, improve acne in some women. But some women have worse acne during these times.
- Certain medicines, such as Oral Contraceptives, Anti-epilepsy and anti-depression drugs can cause acne formation.
- Low quality make-up products can cause acne/pimples.
- Genetics play a good role in having acne. If your other family members has acne then you have high possibilities to develop acne.
Triggering Factors of ACNE
- Poor Hygiene
- Unhealthy Food Habits / Junk Food
- Poor Digestion
- Sleep Disorder
- Hormonal Imbalance
Acne Treatments depends on type of acne , mild to severe . Some preventive treatment can wash your mild acne at home but severe acne can require a treatment for causing factors as well as beauty treatment.
Mild acne treatment
Mild acne are consists of whiteheads or blackheads and can be treated at home with some small small efforts, like washing face twice in a day with warm water and a gentle cleanser or soap. You can apply some over the counter available creams or lotions consisting benzoyl peroxide, retinol, salicylic acid or sulfur.
Moderate to Severe Acne
Moderate to severe Acne may require a consultation with a physician as they might take longer time to treat with home remedies. It can be treated with antibiotic lotions or gels, as well as retinoic acid.
If you take birth control pills to prevent pregnancy, antibiotics can affect how well they work. Be sure to use a second method of birth control with the pill, such as a condom.
Overall, if you don’t see a change in your skin in six to eight weeks, talk with your doctor about your treatment plan.
How to prevent Acne Scars?
“Don’t Pic your Pimples”
- Clean your skin gently with a mild soap or cleanser twice a day.
- Wash your hair on a regular basis. If your hair is oily, you may want to wash it more often.
- Use sunscreen of at least SPF 15.
- Use oil free product and non-toxic cosmetic products.
- Use Sandalwood Face pack to lighten the scars .