Holistic health is an ancient approach to health that focuses on the whole body rather than treating particular symptoms or diseases.
It is a lifestyle one would follow that considers the health of the mind, body and spirit rather than just physical ailments.
Before moving toward this article close your eyes and think for a minute about a healthy person whom you know personally. Now tell me is it someone who is getting a flu shot and doesn’t get sick again and again or it is someone who is physically fit, mentally strong, and has a positive aura all around.
If you dig deep in your own family and look up to your grandparents, they are on a healthier side than the young generation. Have you thought, why so? Because they lived their lives in an equilibrium. They maintained a balance between their diet, physical activity, mental stability and spiritualism.
Holistic health is a choice for a healthy, disease-free life. It focuses on your overall health benefits for good mind, body and spiritual health.
Benefits of holistic health
The principle behind holistic health is living a balanced life that includes a well-balanced diet, adequate sleep, physical and mental activities and certain herbal formulations.
Holistic health aims to improve the functioning of every individual body part. It works well if you are targeting a particular health condition. It provides following health benefits:
- Natural improvement of the body’s ability to fight diseases.
- Prevents many health diseases.
- Reduces stress and anxiety.
- Relief from inflammation, pain and fatigue.
- Improve digestion and energy levels.
- Increases concentration
- Strengths immune system
- Better skin texture
5 Aspects of holistic health care
There are 5 key aspects of healing the body from the inside in holistic health. It focuses on
These 5 aspects of holistic health help an individual to live in the healthiest and happiest way.
When it comes to health, generally physical health is considered the most because physical signs and symptoms are more noticeable and are easy to track and measure.
To support your physical health, there are few key practices in holistic health care that are tremendously beneficial for overall health if followed religiously.
- An adequate sleep of 8 hours is a must in holistic health approach, as it allows your body to rest and repair.
- A plant-based nutrient-dense diet
- Eat well balanced meal that contain fat, fibre, carbs and proteins.
- Daily physical activity minimum of 30 minutes
- Avoid processed food and hydrogenated oil (repeatedly used refined oil) as it is the major source of inflammation and causes chronic health diseases.
- Don’t smoke
- Limit alcohol consumption
Taking care of emotional health is very important because it can majorly impact your physical health. Practicing few things in daily routine can balance your emotional and physical health.
Priortise your emotional health to keep your physical health in good shape.
- Express your feeling in appropriate way
- Think before you act
- Exercise regularly
- Invest time in a hobby like journaling
- Eat and drink healthyily and mindfully
- See a therapist if required
Many researches have shown that people who are more connected with friends and family are the happiest people on earth. This is why connecting with your religious communities provide happiness and a sense of support and faith.
Ways to support your social health
- Make in-person connections.
- Get involve with your local communities.
- Stay away from toxic relations and people.
Connecting with your inner soul gives you some confidence and creates comfort within you. Spiritual health doesn’t mean being religious but if you follow one then practising prayers are helpful for spiritual wellness.
Follow these steps for spiritual health
- Spend time in nature
- Practice your faith
- Spend 10-15 minutes for meditation
Last but very important aspect of holistic health is mental health that overlaps with both physical and emotional health. Mental health mainly focuses how our cognitive abilities that affect how our brain functions. Consuming healthy food and doing skilled work keeps you your mental health in good shape.
- Eat nutrient dense food and importantly omega-3 rich food to support your mental health.
- Puzzels and skill learning programs are important practices for your brain.
- Limit alcohol consumption, smoking and recreational drugs.
Practising these 5 steps of holistic health will make a noticeable difference in your overall well being. We are here to guide you on this holistic lifestyle journey.
I hope this article was informative. Be sure to sign up for my free newsletter so you can receive new health-related posts where I offer an alternative approach to medical conditions. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest.